RIVERSIDE — A convicted felon who fatally stabbed a 34-year-old man during a street confrontation in East Riverside was found guilty Monday of second-degree murder.
Ray Augustine Salcido, 37, of Riverside killed Ruben Delapaz, also of Riverside, last September.
After deliberating one day, a Riverside jury found Salcido guilty of the murder count, as well as sentence-enhancing allegations of using a deadly weapon in the commission of a felony and committing a crime while on bail.
Riverside County Superior Court Judge Samuel Diaz scheduled a sentencing hearing for Sept. 16 at the Riverside Hall of Justice. Salcido is expected to receive 15 years to life behind bars.
Salcido is being held without bail at the Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside.
According to court documents, Salcido had been booted out of a sober living facility and had warrants out for his arrest stemming from parole violations at the time of the attack.
The victim was a transient and had been on friendly terms with Salcido prior to the fatal assault, but the defendant became angry with him for reasons unclear on the night of Sept. 17, 2021, according to a trial brief filed by the District Attorney’s Office.
The brief stated that Salcido, who had told acquaintances that he believed “people were after him,” turned confrontational when he encountered Delapaz in the area of Third and Vine streets, culminating in a physical altercation.
During the fight, Salcido pulled a knife, stabbing the victim in the neck and face, at which point Delapaz tried to run away, but collapsed after staggering a short distance, prosecutors said.
Salcido fled, and witnesses called 911.
Riverside Police Department Officer Ryan Railsback said paramedics reached the location within a few minutes and attempted life-saving measures, but Delapaz died at the scene.
After speaking with people residing in the area, including a homeless woman who knew both the defendant and victim, detectives identified Salcido as the perpetrator, according to the brief.
Salcido was tracked down by U.S. Marshals, who located him on Oct. 15 at his girlfriend’s home in Lodi, where he was arrested without incident.
Court records show he has prior convictions for auto theft, spousal abuse and robbery.